Ever so Thankful

I am very, very sad. My father is very ill in Mexico. He had another heart attack today. As they were trying to stabilize him, he had a second heart attack, and his lungs collapsed. He has been hooked up to a machine since this afternoon, breathing for him. He's stable now, but we still don't know if he will make it out of this one. It looks very serious, and the odds are only 20%. And then we will need to see if there will be any permanent damage both to the brain and the heart. But the doctors are still amazed. He's a stubborn old man. He refused to be driven to the hospital, or to be wheeled in, so he drove and walked in by himself. They couldn't believe he was walking, given his condition. And they are amazed that he's still clinging to that 20% chance. In their book, he should be dead by now.
I am still waiting for my stupid passport, but I've decided to go to my congressman's office tomorrow or to the passports office downtown Chicago, and see what I can do in order to get in a plane to see dad. If worse comes to worse, I'll just have to go to the airport and say "Me no speaky Englich, me illegal inmigrante", and I'll see what the heck do I need to do to get back when the time comes.
But in the meantime, I have to say that I am so grateful to have had this man for my mentor, my guide, my dad. He's far from a perfect guy, I know that, but he's been a great dad. I love him so much. Last time I had to go down there in such a hurry, as I kneeled by his side, I told him how much it hurts knowing I won't be there to say goodbye when the time comes. And he told me there is no need to say goodbye, since we have said it so many times already. And there's no need to say I love you, since we have loved each other so much... and we've made sure we both know it.
Still, the pain is so deep. I know that God's Will could be for my dad to raise from this bed and live many more years to praise His Holy name. But I also have to be realistic, and the odds don't look good. As I'm trying to go to bed, waiting for the day to start, I will say a prayer to our Heavenly Father. It's a prayer of Thanks, for having been so blessed by having such a man in my life. It's a prayer to Honor and Praise the Sweet Lord who gave me such a great father to look after me. It's a prayer asking God that His Will be done, and that I have the strenght and faith that I will need to stand by my sisters and my mother when the time comes. It's a prayer of celebration for a life that slowly comes to and end, and to a new beginning, at the same time. Please, say a prayer with me.
Love you all,
Paula

Comments

oh goodness dear Paula, my heart aches for you! Prayers being sent.
i had hoped for the best for your dad and still do. here's to stubborn old men...;0) many prayers for your father and you and your family.
Nina Diane said…
Oh Paula......I'm so sorry to hear this news. My thoughts and prayers are with you, your family, your dad. Internet hugs...hang in there. I know it can't be easy. I sure hope they can help you with your passport issues but the "no speaky englich" sounds like a good back up plan...haha!
hugs....Nina
Lisa J. said…
Paula what a kind post about your father. i will pray for your continued peace and for Gods will.
Anonymous said…
Paula,

My heart is aching for you and your family. Know that I'm thinking of you and sending you loads of love!

Jacquie

Popular posts from this blog

About birds and TEA

Plank Jr. High