Renaissance Fair








































































































There is a certain kind of magic in a place like this. Fauns. Fairy creatures. Brian and I used to go every year when we were single, as we trully enjoy the artisan and craft shops; you can lose yourself looking at all their creations. But then, after Coco was born, we hadn't had a chance to go. I knew she would really love the place, so this past weekend we headed out that way, about an hour's drive north on the border with Wisconsin.

I LOVE IT! There is a certain... purity? cleanliness? I don't know what word is that I would use to explain the way I feel about this place that tries to re-enact and reproduce those days. I love that formal English that I cannot even try to emulate. I find it fascinating. I love that there are no electric/mechanical rides, just man-powered ones. I just love the way I feel when I go to this place. A more simple way of life, I guess. A more innocent time. I don't know. Just makes me feel good inside. And I love the make believe quality of it. For a few hours, I'm transported to another place and time I totally enjoy. Love the customes. And I was very glad that Noni was able to come with us. She was so happy to see Coco's excitement, and trail after her little boy when he got out of the wagon.

Now, it was such a different experience taking a little girl to this place. Connor was just fine, sitting in his wagon, destroying with-oh-so-much-love his Clifford the Big Red Dog book, and playing with his big brother. When Cesar was a little boy and we would take him, he was just happy looking at the stores and shops. But Nicole wanted to get on every ride, get every paint on her face and legs and arms, get ice cream every two minutes, and we had to tell her no most of the time, especially when she wanted to go on a ride for the 3rd time in a row. So there really wasn't much time for the shops this time :( Oh, well! Maybe it was a good thing I didn't get to spend more money!

Nicole was "knigthed" by the Queen, so she is now a Lady. The Queen even made her model her leg painting for the crowd, and told her how beautiful the swan in her face looked, also. Brian and Cesar were happy to escalate the rock wall, and to knock each other off the log with the hay sacks (hey, be my guest!). We all enjoyed the trip very much.

Of course, Monday morning, as we were getting ready to head out the door and I was telling her to get her shoes and stop goofing around, she told me "uh... mom, I don't mean to bother you, but you have not addressed me as Lady Coco yet. Let's not forget I am a LADY now"... Yup! That sounds JUST like my Coco.

- - - - - - - - -

Now, I don't think I've mentioned that this was my last month as a design team member for Creative Hearts Studio, and the ladies there sent me a bag of goodies as a thank you note (well, ALSO a beautiful thank you note!). I totally enjoy it! Loved the nick-nacks they found for me! It was a nice experience, and those are some AWESOME LADIES. They kits are always packed with lots of good stuff, and they are simply nice, nice as can be... Very much obliged!

Comments

Bethany E. said…
So glad you posted...I was wondering about you! :)

These pictures are awesome! I would have loved to go to something like that...haven't seen one around here before. It sounds like such a fun time! And Coco is the cutest and sweetest!
Anonymous said…
I've never been to a Renaissance Faire. I've always thought about it but never quite made it.

Your kids are dolls girl. Coco sounds like a special little girl. Out of the mouths of babes huh?

Lady Coco...classic!
love ren faires!! haven't been since ds was born though. what fun!
Laura S. said…
These pictures are fabulous. Sounds & looks like so much fun. I haven't been to one in years.

Laura
Pauline said…
I've never been to a Renaissance Faire. I've always thought about it but never quite made it although there is one just down the freeway from me! Maybe i should go????
Looks like a good time was had by ALL!
I knew you loved those faires and I too have never been, one day I'd like to go! My youngest brother and his wife go to those things as well, in fact they got married in Switerland dressed in the old ren fashions, pretty neat huh!? Great pictures as always!!! Can't wait to see how you scrap those beauties!
Lissa Ballard said…
What an exceptional day! I'd love to go to a Faire like this. I've never been to one either but I can imagine how absolutely wonderful it would be. Like you said, just a simpler place in time. I think we're far too busy with technology and the "busy-ness" of our world sometimes (most of the time?).

Thanks for sharing your beautiful Lady Coco too and all your wonderful photos!

Hugs,
Lissa
kmmiller said…
I haven't been to the Rens. Fair in 10 years. Makes me want to go back. Looks like everyone is having and awesome time. I can't believe our DT time is over with CHS. So enjoyed getting to know everyone and making such wonderful new friends like you.
Did you know I'm an officer in our local SCA (SCA.org) group? (we're medieval reenactors)
We don't work ren-faires but we do have our own big-HUGE events ( google Pennsic sometime.... )
I love that you took your kids and enjoyed the day! I LOVE LOVE Ren-Faires!!
~XO~
Gabi

Popular posts from this blog

About birds and TEA

Plank Jr. High