Socorro

Yesterday, today and tomorrow, I was offered a interpreting job at a geriatric unit at a hospital. It was a strange job in a sense. I was supposed to interpret for the patient at her doctor's appointment, but the meeting was very brief. Instead, I really went to give some company to this beautiful 94 year old woman named Socorro, and my heart was so filled with love and compassion for her, even though I barely know her.

She's living in a far away world, in Franco's (the dictator) 1930 Spain, and her dad is a prisioner of the civil war because of his catholicism. And the Virgin of Perpetual Help (Virgen del Perpetuo Socorro, hence her name) is a miraculous and blessed company to her and her family.

It was bittersweet yesterday morning when I spent some hours with her. Her mind is lost somewhere in time, as she was scared in a unit with many other elderly man and women that she doesn't understand, since they don't speak her language. But funnily enough, today she has made friends with some of the ladies. It's so sweet to see them all, sitting in the same table, smiling at each other, and talking in their languages, about absolutely different things, but with such kindness and compassion.

Yesterday I cried with Socorro as she was so scared and lonely. But she was able to loosen up, and we colored as she told me the most beautiful stories. Today, I laughed with her as she sat at the table and talked about her Spaniard magazine Hola!, and as we played (kindda, anyways) some "I remember" Bingo. Today we were waiting for the plane, as I was a flight attendant, and was going to take her to China. I met her very concerned daughter, and I promised her to do the only thing I can do to help, which is pray.

Tomorrow may be the last day I ever see Socorro. She has a doctor's appointment at 7 am, and then, I don't know. But it has been one of the best experiences I've had as a professional in this field. When I find myself in these kinds of assignments, is when I remember that I DO love my job, and that it is worth it. I guess from time to time I forget what it was all about. This.

It also made me think about my parents, and my own senior years. I hope God gives my family the strenght to go on if I ever lose my mind like that. And I hope that my scrapbooks tell them all the stories that will be confussed and fussy in my head.

God Bless you, Socorro. Our Father, Who art in Heaven, Hallowed be thy Name. Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done, in earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread. And forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive them that trespass against us. And lead us not into temptation;
But deliver us from evil, For Thine is the kingdom, the power, and the glory, for ever and ever. Amen

Comments

You are amazing! You are perfect for this job, sounds like she really really needed you for more than interpeting and you went so above the call.
Paula I'm so blessed to actually know someone like you! You are the most kindess, sweetest person I know. You truly are a perfect fit for this job and it proves to suit you well.

Thank you for sharing with us about this precious woman and her life. Perhaps you can go visit her on ocassion if you feel compelled, I'm sure she wouldn't mind one bit!
Anonymous said…
Paula, you are the most beautiful, kind-hearted most heart-warming woman I know and I just adore you and cannot wait to meet you this summer! I just love you!!
Anonymous said…
Paula. You are such a blessed person to be able to experience what you have. You bring joy into everyone you meets life. I am so happy to have you in mine. Thanks for sharing the wonderful stories. You make it feel like I know the person personnally.
Pauline said…
Paula, the size of your heart and love so inspire me to be a better and more caring person!
Pauline
Anonymous said…
Paula - what a beautiful experience for you to have in your love - your words and thoughts regarding your friend are truly eloquent - thanks for sharing this with us.
Lissa Ballard said…
Oh Paula, what a blessings I know you were to her, but at that same token, I know how much she blessed you.

How awesome that you were exactly what she needed you to be and more at the right moment. I'm so happy for both of you. You have likely made someone not only in emotional ways, but as a result of your time, love and attention she will likely have a better physical experience too.

Bless you Paula - what a gift you have been to Socorro.

Hugs,
Lissa
Paula...

No need to publish this comment because this is simply to entice you to get back to bloggin, it's been A WEEK my friend! Where are you? I MISS your creative words and stories...you inspire me so much with your insights in life and so many things....please blog soon!!! xoxoxox

Popular posts from this blog

About birds and TEA

Plank Jr. High