Socorro, Part 2











As it turns out, the hospital personnel thought Socorro needed an interpreter for a little bit longer, probably for the whole time she's hospitalized, so I have been blessed with looking after her and some other elderly that are hospitalized with her. It's been a different kind of assignment, because I interpret very, very little. Most of the hours that I spend there I am helping out in whatever capacity I can, from helping her get dressed, changing Enrique's food, singing with Tracy, joking with Beverly.

Emotionally, this has been a bit taxing. I've been feeling pretty tired when I get home, since they have extended my hours, and I'm basically spending the whole day with them. It's hard to see so much suffering. My heart weeps at times. I really appreciate the comments about my last post, you are all so kind, but I am not a very special person, far from it, really. It's just mere empathy that any human being would feel for her or his brother or sister when they are old and tired and sick and at times desperate. It's been just hard. Some days, Socorro is better and she can get dressed and participate. She even gave me the recipe for a Paella, wich I made for dinner last night (DELICIOUS!) Some others, she's tired and she can't comprehend what is happening around her, and I am not a nice person in her eyes, and she throws her coffee, or her shoes at me or at whomever is near.

But she is not the only one. Each day I see new people coming in, and sometimes, it seems unbearable to see them go back and forth between getting better and getting worse. I keep praying for them all. I am thinking that, after this assignment is over, I will have no other choice but to volunteer some of my time at this place. It has been a beautiful blessing at the same time. It's so nice to feel these men and women's love. I really have gotten the better part in this deal. I will forever be grateful to all of them, for all they are teaching me. Such tender, beautiful hearts I get to meet every day.

I am only sorry that I get so tired and wrapped up, that I can't get to my dear online friends! I come home really tired, ready to see the kids and dear hubby... Connor started walking today (about time!), Cesar was invited to the Academically Talented program for Social Studies, as I thought he would be, and Nicole has started reading her first books these days. Brian will start traveling to the Dominican Republic for work (I HATE HIM!!!! Trying to convince him that he REALLY needs an INTERPRETER, since he speaks no Spanish ;)

So sorry I haven't been visiting blogs lately! I will as soon as I can have a free afternoon!
Lots of hugs!

Comments

Yes Paula, you ARE special. I would probably be throwing the shoes back. Sounds like you have alot on your plate, don't worry about us bloggers.
Yea for the baby!!! Yea for Cesar and Nicole! (sorry if I spelled their names wrong)
Anonymous said…
Was starting to worry about you girl. Thanks for updating. Congrats to Connor for walking. What a huge STEP. he he

Where in the Dom will Brian be. My mother has a home down there. I've never been, she says it is beautiful.

Congrats to Cesar and Nicole as well. Big changes in your house. Enjoy them.
I completely disagree with you Paula...and I'm sure your family (Brian specifically) would too! You are a VERY SPECIAL person and you do VERY SPEICAL things whether or not you want to believe it. The world needs more Paulas!! ;)

I'm happy you're doing something that you enjoy and I'm sure you keep in mind that with any job there is good and there is bad, bad isn't always good but it is something that just must be and we can't control it. It's destiny, it's fate, it's whatever God deems it to be.

God Bless you and Socorro!

Oh and I completely agree with you about Brian needing an interpretor for the Dominican Republic!!!
Anonymous said…
O sweetie you need a hug and a glass of wine with a bubble bath that lasts about 2 days straight! I am sending you my love right now! can you feel it? kisses and hugs! you are a strong woman! I respect you 120%, but remember to take care of you too!

Popular posts from this blog

About birds and TEA

A Li'l soMeThiNg