And this is Part 3

Well, it seems like Socorro will be released tomorrow! I am so happy for her, but I think I will miss her dearly! She really has been such a sweet companion for almost two weeks now, I really have grown to love her. Today, she reminded me why I think so highly of her, and why I came out with the best part in this deal.

We were sitting down, waiting for lunch to be served (today it was late), and Nancy came to sit to our table. Now, Nancy is really in ver, very bad shape. She can't talk, she can't go to the bathroom on her own, and she cries and shrieks as she tries to escape everytime she sees a door open. I feel a lot of compassion for her, but I have to admit, I was pretty concerned that her crying would depress Socorro, and being as it is that she will be released tomorrow, I didn't want her to have a relapse. As Nancy starts crying, Socorro starts patting her hand, and saying "No cry, no cry. You goot, you goot". She turns to me and asks me, "Is she in pain?" and I say "No, Socorro, I think she's a little sad because she wanted to go outside but it's very cold and she can't find her coat". We stay a little longer, but now Nancy is crying even more. So, I ask Socorro, "would you like to sit at another table, so that you don't get a little sad, too?" And she looks at me with these huge eyes, like I just lost my mind: "NO! We can't leave her here! Can you even imagine how she'd feel if we leave her all by herself?"

Jeez! My eyes really started watering, for here is this woman, who is ill, and yet she is willing to stay there for her sister and show a little support. And here I am, healthy, trying to run away. It made me think of the gospel, the one where Jesus sees this widow give a few cents to the church and the rich man give a lot more, and Jesus asks: "Which one of them gave the most? Well, I tell you the widow gave more, because she gave even though she needed the money more than the rich man..." Give until it hurts, Mother Theresa used to say. Just like Socorro.

Boy, am I blessed!

Today I decided I wanted to participate in the craft time. Every day, they all make a craft and I help around, but today I wanted to make a little something for Coco, since she always makes the most beautiful pictures for me! Socorro was laughing so hard, because she said I used all the paint up, and we were just being goofy, like little girls, she even painted my face with purple. It was a good time. And this is what I came up with...






Socorro made a rose, Rita made a Santa Claus, Mary made an abstract beautiful thing... It's just a great group, really. And the caregivers, nurses and all the personnel, are just heroes in my eyes. Socorro said today that she'll miss the whole place, she feels like it is a big family by now. And I'm sure I'll have to keep in touch with all of them, come back to visit the ones that stay behind.

In any event... Yesterday, Brian came home and gave me a present that really made me laugh. As some of you know, Brian and I met online, love@aol.com, and we emailed, IMed, talked on the phone for some months (about 2 or 3) before we met in person. The first date we ever had, he came home to pick me up (talk about naive! I gave him my actual home address!!! I didn't know any better!). Now, I had have several dates like that, and the guys I met would bring a Teddy Bear, chocolates, flowers, the usual. But Brian walks in (after absolutely sweeping me off my feet with his beautiful blue eyes, as soon as I saw his face through the window!) with INSTANT LOTTO TICKETS!!!! He also brought a football and a Halloween pin that flashes for Cesar (so that he can easily be seen in the dark when he goes trick or treating).
I took the tickets and set them on the kitchen counter, as I said "Thanks" and I thought to myself, "what am I getting myself into???" when Brian says "Oh, no, you can't just put them there. You need to scratch them, because that is the money that we are going out with tonight!!" Oh, boy! I was laughing so hard! I thought "This is going to be quite a ride", and it truly has been. Soooo... Yesterday, he walks in with a beautiful card. I open it, and what falls out of it????

INSTANT LOTTO TICKETS!!!! I really am blessed!


Tonight, after dinner, we "celebrate" a belated Valentine's day with a CD celtic version of Amazing Grace that I absolutely love. I start playing it, and Nicole starts dancing some ballet for us. Then Cesar jumps in with his arms above his head, and even I jump in with the grace of a cow, and we all start laughing like crazy... And I think to myself, we really must be the Adams Family of the 21st Century. I was thinking of asking Socorro's family if we can visit her after she is released, but I'm not quite sure they are ready for this bunch of lunatics.

In a final note, my March CHS kit came in today... IT'S GORGEOUS!!!!! I am SOOOO IN LOVE with this one! If you have been waiting for a kit to sweep you off your feet to join this awsome monthly club, this is the one! It will officially launch on March 1, but I can't wait to show it off... Soooo tempted to publish a little tiny-teene-winsie-bitsy corner of my papers and my goodies! Patience... is not one of my virtues (maybe I'll cheat a little??? we'll see... but not tonight!)
Kisses and hugs to everyone!

Comments

Bethany E. said…
Sounds like you had such a nice day :)

I was laughing so hard about the lotto tickets...too funny!

I'm checing that new kit out as we speek...
That's such a wonderful reminder to us all about giving! Thank you for that my friend!

I'm happy that Socorro gets to go home, that's where we are most comfortable after all!! I think her family would be very happy to know someone out there cares for her and would be the lunatics if they denied you an occasional visit.

Also no matter how many times I've heard the story of yours and Brain's first date (I think it's been at least 3x now) it still cracks me up! It's classic and one to continue telling for many generations!!!
Anonymous said…
that is the sweetest story of your first date with your husband.

glad you like the kit - you can post a peek - we like that. any names for it???
Anonymous said…
hmmm, you just amaze me each and every time you post something. Paula, you truly are a wonderful woman! Obviously I am not the only one that thinks so...obviously Brian does too!!!

Nothing says love like Lotto tickets.
Pauline said…
Paula, you are so wonderful and so blessed, and have the biggest heart of just about anyone i know, i am sure that Socorro and her family would be honored to met you and have your continued support!
AWESOME picture btw, did nicole hang it proudly on the refrig?
Lotto tickets? Boy he sure won the jackpot didn't he? I love a man who is original!
I enjoy your Scorro stories. I think you should stay in touch.

Popular posts from this blog

About birds and TEA

Plank Jr. High