Coming out of the closet...

Last Thursday, Cesar comes to say good night to me as I am sitting in my bed, watching TV. And then, he just stares in disbelief... "Mom, you can't be for real!!! What are you watching???" I was caught off guard. Had to think fast: "Oh, it's just that Coco was here watching her tv shows, and I just forgot to change the channel". He looks at the clock, and says "Coco's been in bed for an hour, mom". And then, he just reaches for the remote, and hits the PAUSE button. Of course, there's my poor Piggly Winks paralized, frozen on my screen as Cesar starts laughing at me. "YOU ORDERED IT ON DEMAND????" "Well, it's free, you know? It's not like I'm paying"...

OK, ok, OK... I confess!!! Yes, I AM ADDICTED to CARTOONS!!!

With each of my kids, I have had serious ISSUES... When Cesar was a young kid, all I watched was Winnie the Pooh. My friends started to call me Pooh, since I would always say "oh, bother!". then came Arthur. It's still one of my favorites! I remember waking up early on Sunday morns to watch Arthur on PBS, regardless of where Cesar would be. Then, SpongeBob came, and I've been known to say "Sweet Mother of Pearl", or "Tartar sauce" when I get a little agitated ("Who is this Pearl that you speak of?" asks Nicole everytime)

But now, with Coco's cartoon generation, I've fallen in love all over again. His name is Piggly Winks, and he is a Pig. I absolutely love "Jakers! The Adventures of Piggly Winks"!!! I am now into the Jakers! and Jenny Mack! expressions. This is not the only show that I REALLY enjoy, but it's really my favorite, close to Arthur already (it's a fairly new show). I can also sing the WonderPets, The BackYardigans, and just about any other theme song either on Noggin, Nickelodeon or PBS. But another one of my favorites is without a doubt the "Hey it's Franklin!" theme song. I still remember the "Out of the Box" goodbye song, and another dear one is the Goodbye song by Bear and the Big Blue House...

It's just a little bit embarrasing when all my friends talk about some Anatomy show, or some Twenty somethings, or some other things I have absolutely no clue about. When we talk and tv shows come up, I usually try to pretend like I am in the conversation, or I discretely drop a napkin to the ground, and crawl away, or just plain and simple play dead. But alas, here is my confession. I am addicted to kiddy shows.

Now the only thing that worries me, is that when Connor hits 10 or 12, I will no longer have the means to disguise my habit. I guess I'll deal with this when the time comes. Surely, there must be some sort of detox program for people like me. In the meantime, I will keep this lie going for as long as I can...






Comments

PAULA! You are too cute!!! Ok so if we are confessing about loving cartoons...I'm ALL IN! I LOVE THEM! I know EXACTLY what ones you speak of! In fact I love Kim Possible and have been known to throw out a "no big" slang to friends hoping they 'get it'. (and I would presume they will now if they read my comment!!)

I love Scooby doo, Flintstones and Jetsons STILL! I also LOVED The Wild Thornberrys (and true confession here, this was PREKIDS!!!) So you're not alone, honest!!!
Pauline said…
OMG Paula, that was too cute, but i have a confession for Tim whom will be 49 on the 29th of January does not hide he gets up and watches cartoons, there is no shame in a watching cartoons!
Anonymous said…
OMG, you had me cracking up. You ALL need help! I can't stand watching cartoons! I cringe when Meghen asks if she can watch t.v. downstairs because I know I have to listen through another stupid episode of Sponge Bob.

What I DO find myself into are the other kid shows like Drake & Josh, something to do with Ned and school (not sure of the name), Zoey 101 and whatever else may come up...oh, Something to do with Cody and his twin living in a hotel. Scary I know...BUT, in my defense ...

I watch the Anatomy show and other adult shows!!!
Oh Paula, you need to get out! :)
Next you'll have a full wardrobe of piggly whatever.

Popular posts from this blog

About birds and TEA

Plank Jr. High