The little vacation that wasn't...

After spending an AWSOME Christmas eve and Christmas day with our family, we decided to surprise the kids with a little getaway. Nothing fancy, it's just that this year we couldn't take a real vacation, so we wanted to take them to an indoor waterpark for a couple of days. Brian took off the week, so we really were excited to keep it a secret for the kids. I was very happy when I found out that the Sheraton in Arlington Heights was opening a new water resort called Coco Key. Perfect! No traveling, so we can go for three days, maybe even four!

And so, on Wednesday off we went. Brian woke up with an upset stomach, but then again, he gets that about once a month with his allergies, so he said he would get better, and we left. On our way up there, Brian had to pull over, because his tummy was just too upset still... nothing unusual, really. We arrived around 12, and after unpacking, the kids and I took to the pool. Awsome! The place was really, really cool. Brian decided to stay behind for a little bit, so I took the kids with me.

Now, taking a 1 year old, a 5 year old and a 12 year old to a relatively crowded area where water is everywhere is no easy task. We touch the water in the pool for babies, and it's just plain simple COLD! So, here I go after the other three, with Connor in arms all the time.

We stay down for about two hours, but my arms are just about to FALL (boy, that kid is HEAVY!), and it's difficult to keep track of all three like this, so up we go. And what do I find??? Brian looking like a GHOST. I couldn't even see his freckles, that's how white he looked. I started packing, very upset with him. I cannot believe that he would not tell me he FELL earlier at home, as he was trying to stand up. Cesar is the one who fills me in...

I can't believe he would wait until we were there to say he was so sick! I really grew alarmed because he did look TERRIBLE, so I start packing and out we go. I call the reception to let them know, but they leave me waiting. We all go down, and there is a huge line to check in (it's around 3 pm by now). So I explain the situation, and they say "Not a Problem, just go take your husband to the hospital, we'll take care of it". That was a relief.

So here we go, close to home to a hospital close by so that somebody can help take care of the kids. A couple of my friends volunteer, but then I realize this may take a long time, and I don't want to disturb the kids schedules like that. So, I drop off Brian at the hospital closest to the expressway where we just came in (not our regular hospital), and head for home, call Noni and Papa and tell them the situation. They head out there and call me to let me know the doctors are very busy, but they think it may be apendicitis...

Ok, I'm almost panicking now. Hours go by, I put the kids in bed and I fall asleep and start having nightmares. I finally wake up when Diggy boy starts barking. It's about 2 am, and Noni and Papa come trailing in. Well, they gave him morphine for the pain, but he was still throwing up.

On Friday, I get an email from Cesar's dad's wife, who is letting us know that several members of her family including Cesar Sr. were sick three days ago... okay, thanks for the heads up! Brian started feeling better by Friday, but still not quite well, so he went to the doctor yesterday. The very nice doctor (I really like him, nice old man!) tells him it's not apendicitis, and whatever it was, is now gone. Or so he thought...

Last night, Coco started complaining about her tummy, and here we go, all over again. I've been up most of the night as has Brian, washing carpets, bedding and such. Poor Coco, she feels awful. Only this time we can keep her hydrated. This morning, I started making calls to the friends and family we've been in close contact with this week, just to advise them a little bit ahead of time, before they all go wondering if they have apendicitis.

And as I'm writting this, I'm having a funny feeling in my tummy...

Happy New Year, everyone!
A few pics of our Christmas eve and morn. The beautiful blonde little girl in the picture with my kids is Megan, my niece. She was born 16 days before Coco, and they love each other so much!

Comments

Oh my gosh! Sounds like you guys caught the Norovirus. I am so sorry. It's bad enough when an adult gets it, but children. And always at night isn't it?
My germ trick is to keep a wash cloth soaked in rubbing alcohol in the bathroom. After each episode, I wipe the toilet, floor, anything and everthing down to help keep the germs at bay. I have been known to keep my hands wiped with it too. I am such a germ freak with this kind of stuff.........another reason I pulled Lu out of school when it started. :)
Stay hydrated. Take care!
Pauline said…
You have such a beautiful family!
Here is to hoping that you are all feeling better soon!
Oh Paula!!! I surely know exactly what you were going through. Two weeks ago we all had that horrible horrible flu bug. Nick got it first, then myself and Tommy and then Julius. I was the fortunate one to not have it coming out of both ends!!! It was absolutely atrocious and I certainly don't want to go back there!

I'm also sorry your family's mini vacation plans were foiled by all of this - I hope you can try it again soon.

Hope you have a great New Year!!!

XO
Anonymous said…
Hugs to you girlie!!! HUGS to you!!
Lissa Ballard said…
Oh my goodness what a horrible ordeal! I'm so glad he's on the mend and feeling better. I do hope you didn't get it after all. Here's to good health and keeping it there!

HUGS!
Lissa
Bethany E. said…
Eeeek! Sounds really bad, but I think the bug is going around...happy new year to you and your family!

Popular posts from this blog

About birds and TEA

A Li'l soMeThiNg