It's been a LONG time...

Today was such a nice, NICE day!!! It's the first time in a very, very long time, that the five of us are together hanging out all by ourselves, and I really enjoyed the experience, albeit there were some of those moments when I felt like running away to a remote island.

It's funny, usually on the weekends Dad and brother (Cesar) go to rent a game, and they play a great part of the day while Coco and I do crafts and Connor bounces around the house. Then, Cesar brings a friend over, or someone comes to visit dad or me, or we have a play date for Coco. But today, we had absolutely nothing to do, but hang out with each other. We all compromised with the shows we watched, and it really was fantastic to get to be just with my family.

In the afternoon, we went to see Noni at the hospital, since she underwent her knee surgery and is having a few complications, thankfully nothing serious, but she's staying a little longer than we all thought she would. That's when the kids were really starting to get a little carried away, but then again, it was a long stay in a very small room for such a large family, with an almost 1 year old troublemaker with us...

After visiting Noni, we went for dinner and then to Target to look for a Thermos so that I can get hot cocoa to the school on Monday, when the kids will have the Polar Express visiting them (it's a surprise! can't wait to see their faces!), and that's when we all started getting really crabby. Then, Connor crying in the car didn't help much...

As we got home, we were all still very, very tired and crabby. But the nice thing about this family of mine, is how dad can help us all change our mood in a jiffy. As Cesar talked pretty harshly to Coco, dad said: "Ok, Riordans, we're all tired and crabby, but I say that's enough crabbiness for one day. We are the only ones who can change our mood, so, who doesn't want to be crabby anymore, raise your hand?" "Me, me, me", we all shouted at the same time. And that was it. That silly question just changed the whole thing. I started making the ugliest brownies I've ever seen (actually, my first ones, too!), Cesar found Home Alone on TBS, and we were pretty soon laughing and having a good time, laying on the floor, covered with a blankie...

I would post some pictures of my goofy Brownies, only I left my camera at the hospital, in my MIL's room. Thankfully, Papa noticed, and called me to ask if by any chance I could reach for my camera and take a picture of the kids right away... he always does that with everything I forget when we go visit, pretty much EVERY TIME!!! He calls and asks: "Honey, I was wondering if you could reach into your PURSE... your WALLET... if you could put on your SUNGLASSES..." and then I know...

So, the pictures will have to come some other time. But for now, just take my word for it... I LOVE this goofy, chaotic, crabby, imperfectly-perfect family of mine!!!

Comments

Lissa Ballard said…
What a great family you have Paula... I love how you all are able to band together like you do. What a blessing!

Thanks so much for sharing. I was feeling kind of crabby too and now I'm really snapping out of that. Dalton and I will have a perfect funny day today!

Thanks heaps and big hugs,
Lissa
Anonymous said…
I absolutely love your family too and I don't even know them, but through your eyes and your writing, I feel as if I've known them all their lives!

Thanks Paula, for the reminder of how very fabulous families are!!

Popular posts from this blog

About birds and TEA

Plank Jr. High