Ghost Town




We decided to go to Springfield for a nice little getaway with the kids last weekend. Brian took the day off on Monday, the kids had the day off at school, so we went to Springfield.

On our way, we stopped at Starved Rock, another place I want to go back to one day. Beautiful, beautiful fall colors. We have to go back there to take a hike!

I always have been fascinated by Abraham Lincoln. In my opinion, the best president our country has had. Just an awsome person to emulate. And I totally enjoyed our trip in that sense. As soon as I started walking through those streets, I kept thinking: this is where greatness walked. I trully felt very emotional about it. The museums we were able to see, Lincoln's New Salem... all very fascinating.

Now, when it comes to the rest of it... Boy, that was frustrating! Now, somebody should have let us know that Springfield is a total ghost town on the weekends!!! Downtown is practically DEAD ZONE during the weekend! We wanted to have a decent meal, but EVERYTHING was closed, even QUIZNO'S and SUBWAY!!!! We had to settle for Jimmy John's. Not our idea of a nice meal, but it had to do. We absolutely felt that we were in some episode of the Twilight Zone! (remember that one, where nobody is in town, and this guys is all alone looking for other human beings???)

And, on the other hand, it made me appreciate my parents even more. You see, I always have known that my parents are far from perfect. But the fact that they didn't KILL ME and my sisters when we went out on trips, is REALLY an accomplishment!!! AAARRRRGGGHHHH!!!! How frustrating traveling with a 12 year old boy and a five year old girl!!!! I really wanted to MURDERALIZE THEM!!!!

ALL the way, it was an incesant chant: Are we there yet? Mom, Brother is not being nice to me / Mom, Coco is kicking my seat / Mom, Brother is looking at me funny / Mom, Coco is making faces at me... Connor, at 9 months of age, was the BEST BEHAVED!

I could only remember the kind of PAIN I (and my sisters, five girls total, rangin in ages from Kinder to college!) put my parents through when we traveled with them. They are brave people, we took trips at least once a month (they LOVE to travel.) I don't know how they did it. As for me, I told Brian we are NOT taking a road trip with them again until they are going to college... That will be my next trip with them! Let's see if at 55, when my youngest is 18, I still want to go hiking in Starved Rock...

But, in the meantime, let me tell you, if you haven't been to Springfield, IL, to check the new Lincoln Museum, you really have to make your way out there. Well worth the agravation!

(Blogger not happy today, can't post my pics... maybe I'll post them some other time!)

Comments

Oh I hear ya on this!! My girls ( 2 and 4) do NOTHING But bicker and fight no matter where we are, home, in the car or in a store, hiking, walking, at the zoo, at a museum, in a restaurant, public place, bathroom WHEREVER WE ARE!!! It's MORTIFYING, EMBARASSING and brings me to the absolute END of my wits! I feel for ya, sistah! I DO!!
I am glad that the sights were enjoyable, even thru the bickering, tattling and sibling rivalry!
I'd LOVE to see your pictures from the trip. You can bypass all of Bloggers bugs by using http://www.photobucket and just linking them. Hassle free and no cost..... :)
Have a great weekend!
~Gabi
well I'm glad a portion of the day was good. 50% of the time I am sorry I didn't have another child, then 50% of the other time, I am so so thankful for no bickering between siblings. :) Hang in there.
My girlfriend with 3 girls always reminds me that I only have ONE child, then says "ahhhh, the peace and quiet" :)
Anonymous said…
remember that some day you will MISS days like that!! when they are moved out and on their own :)
right? right? we will all miss those days...(hehe) I bet though...we will :)
Starved Rock is AWESOME!!!
Pauline said…
OH Paula, kids are a joy to travel with (so i have heard) ... remember none here, try traveling with me 16 hrs in the CAR from Cali to NM to CO .. it was a journey tim and i never want to take again
Ooh Springfield is GREAT indeed! My SIL and I stopped there back in '99 (well she wasn't my SIL yet). It was my first time ever being there (no school trip for me, unlike 98% of the schools!) I feel I was jipped, but I digress.

Imagine traveling 10 hours (as I do when we go see my dad down in AL) with bickering children!! It's not fun, but let me tell you, a DVD player is a MUST on ANY long trip!!!!

Glad to hear it was a wonderful trip for you besides...and what is this about Jimmy Johns not being a good meal???? They ROCK!

Popular posts from this blog

About birds and TEA

Plank Jr. High