A visit to the past... Mine!









A flea market can be SO much fun! And such a great place to find inspiration, little details to decorate your home, or even yourself :)
Carrie, Kathy and I met at Caribou Coffee on Sunday morning. After a decadent White Chocolate Moccha (yes, complete with chocolate covered coffee bean, chocolate shavings AND whipped cream), we went to Kane County Flea Marlet. I've never been to one before, and I was so happy to be there! so many beautiful things to see!
But more than anything else, the Flea Market was such a reminder of my abuelita Paula, my paternal grandma. Everywhere I looked, there was some sort of reminder of her. Those old metal milk containers... I remember abuelita in the mornings, going out with her pan in hand, ready for the milkman to pour the milk. Then, she would bring it home and boil it, and she and I would eat the milk custard with cheese in a piece of bread with coffee, as she told me stories of her childhood...
I remember abuelita's hands crocheting those beautiful white napkins, to put on her furniture, and to give away as presents. I loved touching abuelita's hands. Her skin was so soft, even with her wrinkles, always moving fast as she crocheted her napkins. She never thought they were that much, and almost felt embarrased when she'd give them to someone. I still have a few of them, and I love them so much. They are a little presence of her in my home...
I remember abuelita's black mantilla. She always wore it to church, every Sunday to 8 am mass. Her faith was so pure and simple, and her mantilla was such a sign of modesty and humbleness...
Everything around that place reminded me so much of this beautiful woman my abuelita was. Flowers and birdhouses, which she loved and had all over. She was a simple woman of few and wise words, who didn't really go to school, didn't have a microwave, but was kind and compassionate, never missed mass or communion, even when her illness prevented her from going to church. She gave birth and raised 15 children and knew each one of her 250 plus grandchildren and greatgrandchildren. She thought me how to pray the rosary, how to make a good cup of coffee with cream and piloncillo to sweeten it, and that if I had nothing good to say about someone, not to say anything at all.
I walked around the flea market looking around, many times with tears in my eyes, feeling my heart a little heavy, but at the same time very, very happy, feeling her presence just like a used to as a child. Thanks, Carrie and Kathy for introducing me to this place, and for being such fun and contagiously happy company. I really had so much fun with you!
And, abuelita, look after me from heaven, where I'm sure you sing with God's angels the most beautiful songs for me and my children. I love you forever, grandma!

Comments

Wow Paula...who knew that a flea market could bring such memories and emotions for you! I'm so glad it was a great experience in many ways for you!!!

Your abuelita sounds like she was a most wonderful woman and that she would welcome anyone into her home.
Anonymous said…
I knew you loved seeing things, like I do as well, that remind you of the love. Lil things my family had too are all around at a place like that. Funny isn't it that many people would walk around and think its junk or they would have no interest in antiques and things but when you keep your mind and heart open, you see a whole lot of other things that warm your heart.
So glad that you came along. Looking for next time. You make me smile. :)
Pauline said…
WOW Paula, such a sweet testimate to a wonderful woman
How sweet! What a great day. I don't think they have those kind of flee markets around here. You know how I love a bargin.
scrapperjen said…
That looks SO fun! GREAT photos! I am SO going to go next time...
Way to make me CRY, Paula!!!!!!!!
What beautiful memories of a fantastic relationship you shared! I am so glad that you had such a memory filled day. Such a lovely tribute you posted here.
XO
Gabi
Anonymous said…
We sure had a nice time. You made me cry also. I loved hearing about her as we walked along at looked at stuff. What great memories you will always have.
Anonymous said…
oh, when do we get copies of the pics.

Popular posts from this blog

About birds and TEA

Plank Jr. High