Without a doubt, I come from another place

This week, I heard the news about an acquaintance of mine. She was pregnant for a few months, as a matter of fact, at the same time I was pregnant the first time this year, before we lost our dear baby. But then she learned her baby was not picture perfect. The baby had Down Syndrome. And so, she decided to "terminate" her pregnancy. She had an abortion, which took three days to take place, took pictures of the baby she just killed, had him cremated and took him home.

Now, I REALLY must come from another place, another dimension where this is absolutely outrageous. As a matter of fact, the place I come from is NOT politically correct. In that place, things are called by their name. Under these circumstances, for example, what this woman did is legally considered a crime, and it's called by it's true name, murder. And the perpetrators go to jail for it.

But here, it turns out, people feel for a woman like this. People feel sorry, and pitty and empathy. And I just wonder if they feel any of those things for the victim, for the murdered child.

It's funny also that at some point, I considered this person my friend. NONE of my friends would have ever considered the murder of their child, the dear child they would carry in their wombs, just because that child is not perfect. In our values system, the commandments are still commandments, not suggestions. "Thou shall not kill". There is no addition saying "unless thou child is not perfect. Then it's just fine for you to murder him/her".

Now, don't take me wrong. I am ABSOLUTELY PRO CHOICE. I think we all should be able to chose to use condoms, pills and the huge variety of contraceptive choices at our disposition when we have intimacy. We all should be also able to consider all the risks, including that of having a child with health or mental or developmental problems, all of this before we decide to get pregnant.

But then again, this is not the place where I come from. This is the place where people feel pitty for you when you decide to kill your baby; when you decide to put him through three days of agony, just to be ready to kill him; when you take pictures of him so you can scrapbook him and have closure; when you cremate this precious child and take him home as a souvenir.

God bless this child. God bless that precious child that was not perfect, and therefore, had no right to live, in his mother's eyes. And may God and my children forgive me for deciding to stay in a place like this. May God and my children forgive me for not going back to where my friends are, to where I grew up. To the place where this is not politically correct, and a murder is called by it's name. That place is called a "Third World" country. It is so ironic that when it comes to it, that country's values and morals are so First World.

Comments

Paula....

WOW...I had NO IDEA you knew someone that did this. My cousin's friend actually did the same thing and well, I have to agree with you in every respect. It is shameful, makes you wonder why is it 'ok' today to accept this when it was completely unheard of 'back in the day'.

What also bugs me about pregnancies is all the technology they have, why can't you wait to find out if your baby is going to be a girl or a boy?? Is there NO ELEMENT of surprise anymore? Is 9 months really that long to wait? I truly am against all these 'designer' times of pregnancies.

I am a firm believer that God knows best and that is how we learn, from our children, no matter if they are 'perfect' or not (although a child should be PERFECT in a mother's eyes NO MATTER WHAT!!!)

Keep blogging my friend...I enjoy your perspectives.

Popular posts from this blog

About birds and TEA

Plank Jr. High